The most popular online travel guide to Russia, since 2001.

Way to Russia Community and Forum

If you have a question or want to help someone, please, go to
Way to Russia Forum on our Facebook page.
We also invite you to join our Facebook community, where you can meet other travelers and read interesting news on topics ranging from visa regulations to culture and music.


We are currently moving the old forum to Facebook, so what you see below functions as an archive.

If you have a question, please, post it on
Way to Russia Facebook Discussions Page


 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   ChatChat   Log inLog in 

Travelling by Car Finland - Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Way to Russia Talk Lounge Forum Index -> Transport
Author Message
Just Starting

Joined: 09 Mar 2008
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Beware of accidents Reply with quote

The normal insurance covers only about 10 000 Euros, so if there is an accident you have to pay the rest out of your pocket. Take full insurance.
A 20 euro bill in your passport will easier things at the Russian border.
Back to top
Just Starting

Joined: 05 May 2008
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: temporary import certificate Reply with quote


I went through all the post on car issues but couldn't find answer on the following.

First of all, I didn't get a 'tempory import certificate' or a 'temporary permit' (I assume it's the same) when I crossed the border from Ukraine to Russia in early February. Did something change regarding regarding these certificates? I also don't have any custom declaration for the car. In case, it's important: I am German but I lived in Ukraine and have Ukrainian liscence plates on my car. I am a bit horrified. Where should I get this certificate now?

Secondly, I am going to live in Russia for several years and need to get the car registered here. At the registration office, they want a customs declaration, which I don't have. Do I have to drive back to the border or can I get the declaration in Moscow?

Thanks for your help,

Back to top

Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 429
Location: London UK

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your situation is rather unique and I think you need to get a complete list of what the registration guys are asking for and then if necessary, you will need to cross the border properly and get the customs declaration. In all probability there are special rules for ukrainian registered cars - CIS and all that. I don't know more - sorry.
Back to top
Frequent Guest

Joined: 08 Jan 2006
Posts: 45
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be asked how it was you arrived at a road border and leaving by air , I was , but then I had no problems as I had proof from the Russian police that the car had been destroyed
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Way to Russia Talk Lounge Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 3 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2